At Karstens Investment Counsel (KIC) we believe that a well-prepared investment plan is the foundation for our clients’ financial success. The following four-step process allows us to create a plan that is specifically tailored to our clients’ needs:
Step 1. The Discovery Meeting
In our initial meeting we assess the client’s current financial situation and establish goals and objectives. We identify obstacles the client faces and later provide strategies and solutions to overcome them.
At a minimum, we will establish:
- Short- and long-term goals
- Current assets, cash flow, and income needs
- Investment return expectations
- Risk tolerance
- Income tax considerations
- Advanced planning needs
Step 2. The Investment Plan Meeting
By understanding our client’s goals and objectives, we are able to create a strategic investment plan specifically tailored to each individual client. In the investment plan meeting we:
- Determine the proper balance between equity and fixed income investments
- Consider multiple investment classes and sectors to create proper diversification
- Identify talented investment managers
- Tactically assess the current market and make appropriate adjustments
- Evaluate and measure performance while controlling cost
Step 3. Putting the Plan in Motion
Once the plan has been created to meet the client’s needs, we begin the process of implementation. In today’s complex financial world, the paperwork, documentation, and other steps necessary to make changes can seem daunting. KIC is there with our clients every step of the way to help ensure a smooth and accurate transition.
Step 4. Regular Progress Meetings
After implementation, we monitor our client’s investment plan and keep the client updated on a regular basis. We realize that all our clients’ lives are ever-changing, and therefore their plans will need to be adjusted from time to time. We are proactive in engaging our clients in order to maximize the probability that they achieve their financial goals.